Indian Journal of Dental Research

CASE REPORT
Year
: 2011  |  Volume : 22  |  Issue : 6  |  Page : 839--842

Accidental ingestion of a barbed wire broach and its endoscopic retrieval: Prevention better than cure


Rajashekar Mohan, Sreesha Rao, Mathew Benjamin, Radhakrishna K Bhagavan 
 Department of Surgery, K. S. Hegde Medical Academy, Deralakatte, Mangalore, Karnataka, India

Correspondence Address:
Rajashekar Mohan
Department of Surgery, K. S. Hegde Medical Academy, Deralakatte, Mangalore, Karnataka
India

Ingestion of instruments is a potential complication that can occur during dental procedures. We report a case of accidental ingestion of an endodontic barbed wire broach during root canal treatment and its subsequent retrieval by endoscopic methods. Although prevention is the best approach, proper management of such an event is also crucial. The objective of this report is to draw attention to the potentially serious complications that can occur if preventive techniques are not practised, and to discuss the accepted guidelines for management of such an event.


How to cite this article:
Mohan R, Rao S, Benjamin M, Bhagavan RK. Accidental ingestion of a barbed wire broach and its endoscopic retrieval: Prevention better than cure.Indian J Dent Res 2011;22:839-842


How to cite this URL:
Mohan R, Rao S, Benjamin M, Bhagavan RK. Accidental ingestion of a barbed wire broach and its endoscopic retrieval: Prevention better than cure. Indian J Dent Res [serial online] 2011 [cited 2021 Jun 22 ];22:839-842
Available from: https://www.ijdr.in/article.asp?issn=0970-9290;year=2011;volume=22;issue=6;spage=839;epage=842;aulast=Mohan;type=0